Saturday, September 23, 2006

So it's been a while

Well, I've heard from a bunch of people that I haven't been carrying my weight when it comes to blog posts.  I suppose they may have something at that, but I know that I HAVE posted a whole lot more (well, 3 or 4 times more) than Rick (who, I think, leaves all the posting to Jen). 

Anyway, it seems surreal that we leave in 2 days for Africa.  In 2 days, I will then spend about another 2 days on airplanes and in airports - not sleeping.  Yay.  Anyway, we have pretty much everything together for the big jump, including, thanks to many generous friends and relatives, a lot of financial help with the costs.

A number of people had passed their concern on to me regarding the high rates of HIV in southern Africa, and their worry that by working in a medical field, I'd be in serious risk.  I had always figured that, while the risk was there, I'd be consistently vigilant in never allowing for any infection to occur (and I still will).  Then, on Wednesday, I got a call from SIM (the agency we're going through), that they're now suggesting that people going into Angola to work in the pre-med program bring along their own antiretroviral medication, in case there is some accident.  This is new, and I don't think it's because of an actual accident, however, it was a bit of a wake-up call as to the tangible possibility of infection with HIV.

So, I ended up getting a prescription, and eventually found the ONE pharmacy in Vancouver (Shoppers Drug Mart on Davie St.) that can provide the medication, and ended up getting a quarter course (meaning that if I did get infected, I'd have a week to hunt down some more drugs) for about $250 (meaning that the full course would be up around $1000).  There are 3 different drugs, and in reading the descriptions, they almost seem as likely to kill someone as the eventual AIDS would (well not quite, but it is quite bluntly dangerous).  In just getting the prescription and reading through the documentation, I can only begin to imagine what someone who actually was needing to take the medication would be thinking of.

Now, for all you worried relatives out there, I don't plan on ever needing to take any of these pills.  Instead, I'm planning on leaving them in Angola unopened.  Also, no-one needs to worry about Julia - she'll be pretty safe, as I doubt she'll be at risk of contracting anything while teaching English.  If anything those seminary students should be quaking in their boots at the thought of contracting her spelling!  (I'm ducking right now, because even though Julia is in the other room right now, I don't want her to see me type this....  - I'm joking, of course - I don't think spelling can be contagious)      :)

Anyway, that's all for now.  I'll stop before I get myself in more trouble.

No comments: