Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Left foot red, right hand blue

We have exactly 2 weeks until we go home.. this fills me with that `duh duh duh` feeling when the hero sees the oncoming climax to the movie. Part of me is dreading the going home process, knowing that when we go home we will:
1. have no `home` (although we are sooo grateful to our parents who have opened their homes to us!)
2. have no job
3. will actually have to fill our days DOING things
4. really be done our time in Japan

However, the climax of the movie is always the most exciting, and filled with transition. It is not an ending, but brings the hero to a new time in life.. there is growth in character and hopefully a fun story to tell. So, going home will:
1. reunite us with our long missed family and friends
2. remind us that we are not super heros, but actually regular people who are not special just for speaking English, and very bad Japanese. (not sure what list this should actually go in)
3. give us time to apply for schools for next year. Ben is already in proccess for med school applications. I have to get my butt in gear for teachers programs.
4. make us(Julia) gain elephantine amounts of weight as we are reunited with our favourite missed foods, like cheddar cheese, bagels, and farmer sausage.
5. give us time to prepare for going to Botswana and Angola!

I`ve put up some links on the left so you can have some idea of what we (Ben) will be doing in Angola. I already feel like I have one foot in Japan, one foot in Canada, and a hand in southern Africa.. it`s like an international game of twister.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow ... 2 weeks left, that is absolutely crazy!!! I know that the experiences will never be forgotten, and the friends you have made through the JET program will always be an email away! I can tell you going home is a surreal experience. Visiting familiar surroundings and seeing the changes is quite astonishing. Family and friends are always a great re-union. Personally I find leaving again the hardest, maybe because I am still confused as to where home is for me :(

Well I hope these last few weeks are filled with great memories and a safe flight home!!

ciao
Laura