Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Good News and the Bad News

Want the Good News first?

Ben has an interview at UBC in February!! We're super excited. We'd both love for him to get in to the medicine program at UBC. I've heard though that only 1 out of 3 interviewees get accepted, so, if you're in UBC Med, or if you WORK there, please comment and give Ben some advice for the interview. (If you're also an interviewee, apparently they love "alternative lifestyles" like goth or punk, and want you to really express your suppressed self during the interview. wink wink, nudge nudge)

The Bad News..

My Grandpa pass away on Monday, January 8. His last few days were at a hospice in Mission (which is such comfortable place, it was like a really, super nice hotel, and not hospitally at all) and he died in his sleep. He lived a solid, faith filled life. I've learned so much about him being around family these last two weeks. I wasn't as close to him as I'd have liked. I think because we spent our early childhood in Botswana, when we moved to Canada, we were used to not seeing them much, and didn't have that cuddly baby start with them. My other cousins were a lot closer with Grandpa and Grandma, and I'm jealous of their relationship. I know that Grandpa loves us, and when we miss a family event, always wonders where we are. Before we left for Japan, we went to IHOP with Grandma and Grandpa, and I asked them about their early times together, moving from Manitoba to BC. I think it was the first real adult conversation I had with them, just us and them. I think it was just before we left for Africa then we went for dinner with my parents, the grandparents, and Ben and I. Ben ordered a beer, and Grandma wanted one too, so we ordered one for her. She didn't really want it after that, so Grandpa drank it, and reveled in it a bit. It was so funny. My grandparents are very Mennonite in their ways, so to see them drink beer was just so, well, special is the word that comes to mind.

It's these kind of thoughts that allow us to celebrate his life, and not mourn his death. His funeral was really such a celebration of an amazing man-who loved his wife, his kids, and all the other people that came in their life-those who married in, and those who came around for a while and left. With 6 kids, 17 grandchildren and I don't know how many great grandchildren, It was a testimony to his legacy as 70 of us or so walked down the church aisle together, all of us a branch from his tree.

This got way longer than I expected.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys :)
Thanks for the tips Jules, I have been fussing with it but haven't come up with anything better either.
Our prays are with you and yours.
Ben, I just heard from Elaine that she TOO has an interview with UBC med!! That would be so sweet with 2 peeps I know got in next year!! Wish I knew someone who got in so I could get some inside scoop. I did hear a rumor that the style has been changed to stations: something about 10 or so stations with mock scenarios that you would kind of act out in the situation eg. cyclist accident, what would you do as 1st on the scene? and it's not meant to be medical, but just as you would handle it in your real daily life. Anywho, I'm not positive, you may know more.
Best of luck :)
God bless you guys muchly

Bekah said...

Thanks for sharing that touching story about Grandpa, I love it!

Ellie said...

Hi guys, thanks for the blog comment. Was really sorry to hear of your loss, but I'm thankful that it was peaceful and dignified.

Missing life in the Tok loads, wishing I could see you all again. Ben, I'm now climbing regularly at the local indoor wall, and I'm really happy about that!

I'll keep an eye out for interview news! Best of luck to ya!

Ellie xx