Tuesday, June 27, 2006

' The heat is on. . . . . The heat is o o o o o o onnnnn

So, I started my 'who needs hot water' season today. After arriving last year, I don't think I used any hot water (notably for showers, but in fact we didn't have the heater on) until we were well into September.

Yesterday, I was talking to Aaron on MSN, when he mentioned that it was 32C back in Vancouver. I chuckled to myself, thinking how nice it was that I was enjoying the non-humid 25-ish degree weather here. Well, this morning, our alarm went off at 6:40 AM, and I looked at the clock, which also displays the temperature. It was 25 C at 6:40 in the freaking morning. Humidity was right up, and I saw the temperature shown as 33 C on some local bridges (pretty much every bridge has a big display to show the temperature - useful for the 2 days every 3 years or so that something might freeze in winter, but otherwise, it's nice to generally be aware of the temperature - for complaining and/or bragging, I'd imagine).

Anyway, today was my lucky day to go to a local kindergarten. The nice thing about Jr. High Schools is that the staff room is often air-conditioned. Well, kindergartens are not, and the kids don't like being still too much. It was fun, but man was I sweating and ... basting.

After that, I got to drive my portable oven (Well, at least until the AC helped bring things to a tolerable level) to a cell-phone shop, to try and figure out why my phone had suddenly gone into hermit mode - not wanting to communicate with anyone. I got a svelt white loaner with pink detailing, so now at least I can look cool when I pull it out to use the stopwatch in class.

Anyway, with a number more errands to do, I baked and cooled many times (the buildings were all AC-ed!) that now I think I must have a good temper. No-one has ever really said I was 'edgey' - but now at least I may be able to hold whatever edge I do have.
(note from Julia: Ben is making a joke. I had to ask him about it, but metal is heated and cooled to form it. Well tempered metal is strong and not brittle, able to hold an edge. Kudos to you if you got it before my note!)
--

In other good news, my final exam for my distance course is now booked, and the whole thing will soon be over!

Well, I feel all blogged out now.

'later

3 comments:

Courtney and Jon said...

Sounds like it's a little hot out there. Yah, I hear that it is here too but since I just lock myself in my computer room doing homework and only go out to play ball at 5 pm it's already cooled off a bit :o). I did pull out fans today but...
Good to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys
I just came across your blog through Smitha's website. I was having a little Natsukashii moment and googled Tokushima. I was a AET in Hanoura from 1998-2000. At that time there was another married couple, Michael and Julanne, based in Anan. Do either of you guys take the crazy ladies Eikaiwa class, the gang leader being Hiromi?
I could feel that summer Japanese heat coming off your last blog!

Julia said...

Hi Rona, I know the Eikaiwa that you`re talking about. We don`t have it but our friend does. We`ve visited the Eikaiwa, and you`re right, they are crazy.. they go by the name `The Dangerous Ladies`. We had a great time with them and they even dressed me in Kimono. You can read about it on October 16 on our last blog www.martensahoy.blog.com !
(for those of who who read it and didn`t believe me.. SEE! they are known for their antics!)